Monday, July 20, 2009

Pesto Rolls



While Ryan was out of town for the weekend, I had fun making these pesto rolls. The recipe began with a starter, which I made Saturday night. Sunday morning, I was ready to begin by making the pesto mixture that would give the rolls their pale green color. I blended fresh basil, olive oil, garlic cloves, and Parmesan cheese in the food processor until smooth. After blending my starter, pesto, and the remaining flour together, I kneaded the dough in my mixer (also known as my new pride and joy). I took the dough out a minute earlier and continued to knead by hand; just because I love the way the dough feels when it comes together. After the dough proofed for an hour, I punched it down and divided it into eight equal portions and shaped each into a small round. The shaped rolls rose for another hour before dusted them with flour, slashed them, and popped them into the oven for 17 minutes. The basil and garlic aromas filled my house and it took a lot of self-control to let the rolls cool before trying one! I enjoyed a roll today for lunch with some melted mozzarella and ripe tomato--my version of a caprese sandwich!

2 comments: