Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rosemary, Cinnamon, & Raisin Focaccia





When I decided to bake my through "The Art & Soul of Baking," I went in with the goal of making each recipe as written. Rosemary, cinnamon, and raisin focaccia was the first recipe I was a little nervous about--to be honest, the flavor combination just sounded a bit odd. Despite my trepidation (and inner hatred for raisins) I began the recipe. After soaking the raisins, I mixed the yeast, warm milk, sugar, and flour until combined. With no starter needed, this bread came together quickly and was proofed in an hour. After the first rise, I poured the dough onto a large sheet pan and pushed I to the edges. After a coasting of olive oil, I placed it in the fridge to proof overnight so I could bake it off in the morning for a breakfast. When I woke up the next morning, the dough had doubled in size and looked beautiful. After gently dimpling the surface, I added a bit more olive oil and a liberal dusting of sanding sugar. 20 minutes in a 375 degree oven and I had a golden brown bread with the perfect open crumb texture (the marking of a good focaccia). Sadly, I have to admit that although this bread looked great, I just didn't like the way it tasted. Despite the great texture, the combination of the earthy/piney rosemary just didn't mesh well with the sweet raisins and spicy cinnamon. I will definitely try this bread again, but next time I will either go all sweet or all savory. I know I won't love every recipe I make, but that's part of the fun.

On deck: Old Fashioned Dinner Rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment