Sunday, September 27, 2009

Autumn Spiced Caramels






I was craving caramels, so I decided to whip up a batch of my favorite fleur de sel caramels. I felt like making them a little different, and in honor of the coming fall season, I decided to add some spices. I mixed a blend of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg to add to the caramels. While the sugar, water, and corn syrup boiled, I heated the cream, butter, and spice mix. When the sugar had turned a light caramel color, I added the cream mixture and let it cook until it reached 248 degrees. I poured the hot caramel into a lightly greased 8" square pan and let it cool for four hours. I cut the caramels into squares and dug in! I think that the spiced caramels were a nice change from the traditional. You can definitely taste a hint of the spices, but the flavor is not overwhelming. I enjoyed the caramel with a granny smith apple, and added spices made it taste like I was eating a piece of apple pie topped with caramel! The only thing I will do different next time is cook the caramel a little longer so it holds its shape better when cut. I am already looking forward to making these again and dipping half of them in chocolate and using the other half to make unique caramel apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment