Sunday, September 27, 2009

Lemon-Poppy Seed Cream Scones








Scones! If you've never had a scone, they are like a cross between a muffin and a biscuit--slightly sweetened with somewhat flaky layers. I chose to make one of the variations on the plain cream scone, opting to add lemon zest and poppy seeds. I started by blending the dry ingredients (four, sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and poppy seeds). Next, I cut butter into 1/4" cubes and chilled them in the fridge for 30 minutes. Next, I used a pastry butter to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter was the size of small peas and evenly dispersed throughout the flour mixture. Next, I added the heavy cream and used a spatula to mix everything together. The dough was a little crumbly (as expected) so I dumped it onto the counter to bring it all together. I shaped the dough into an 8" disc and used a chef’s knife to cut eight even wedges. I placed the wedges onto a baking sheet and brushed each with an egg wash and topped them with sugar. The scones baked for 19 minutes in a 425-degree oven. I thought the scones came out great--I could really taste the lemon zest and I happen to love the slight crunch of poppy seeds and it was a way better breakfast than cereal!

Next: Chocolate Toffee Scones

No comments:

Post a Comment