Sunday, September 27, 2009

Parmesan-Herb Popovers





I finally made it to chapter 3--Quick Breads! I really enjoyed baking the layered pastries in chapter 2, but I am excited for the more instant gratification that quick breads have to offer. The first recipe was popovers-a recipe that I had never tried before. Popovers are a culinary slight of hand--a few simple ingredients create an impressive amount of height. This version included an addition of Parmesan and fresh thyme for a little extra flavor. To start, I preheated a muffin pan in a 450-degree oven for fifteen minutes while I prepared the batter. Next, I mixed the dry ingredients in one bowl (flour and salt) and the wet ingredients in another (eggs, milk, melted butter). After thoroughly blending the wet and dry ingredients I added in the cheese and herbs. I poured the batter into the hot muffin tins, rather than the usual popover pans. While the popovers didn’t rise as high as in a popover pan, they still puffed up a considerable amount. Overall, the popovers weren't as tasty as I hoped for--they had a very eggy flavor with a moist texture. I did like the crispy exterior, but that was not enough to convince me to make this recipe again anytime soon.

Coming soon: Easy Morning Muffins with Blueberries

No comments:

Post a Comment