Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Savory Jalousie with Sauteed Wild Mushrooms










I can't say enough about this recipe! It is DELICIOUS! A jalousie is a rectangular piece of puff pastry stuffed with a fruit filling. This version was savory rather than sweet and it was filled with a decadent wild mushroom stuffing. I had saved a portion of the quick puff pastry I had made the day before, so the first thing I had to do was prepare the mushroom filling. I was so excited for this recipe because I purchased a delicious mix of wild mushrooms from the farmers market. I quickly sautéed the wild mushrooms with olive oil, butter, salt, and pepper. I then added minced garlic, chives, fresh thyme, Italian parsley, and fresh cream. Once the mixture simmered and thickened, I let it cool while I rolled out a large rectangle. Next, I divided the rectangle in half lengthwise to create two ling, skinny rectangles. I placed one of the rectangles on the pan and topped it with the cooled mushroom mixture. I folded the other rectangle in half and cut slits one inch apart across the entire length of the dough to create slats that would allow the filling to show through. I topped the mushrooms with the slatted dough, crimped the edges, and glazed the jalousie with an egg wash. The pastry baked for 27 minutes in a 400-degree oven, filling the entire house with a rich, earthy aroma. I forced myself to wait ten minutes before I sliced into the jalousie. The puff pastry was buttery, flaky, and the perfect accompaniment to the earthiness of the wild mushrooms. It was so delicious that I had to go back for seconds and I think it just might be the best tasting recipe I've made so far...

Next: Classic Baklava with Pistachios and Cardamom

No comments:

Post a Comment