Monday, November 2, 2009

Cinnamon-Streusel Sour Cream Coffee Cake







If you need to serve an army, this is the coffee cake for you! This recipe came together really quickly, but it took a few stages. To start, I toasted pecans and mixed them with brown sugar and cinnamon for the streusel filling. Next, I blended the dry ingredients (cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt). After creaming softened butter and sugar I added four eggs and vanilla, then alternated additions of sour cream and the dry ingredients to create the batter. I didn’t realize how much this recipe would make—I filled a bundt pan halfway with the batter, sprinkled the streusel evenly over the top, and topped with the remaining batter. I baked the coffee cake for 55 minutes in a 350-degree oven until it was a deep golden brown and a toothpick came out clean. The coffee cake was incredibly moist, flavorful, and the streusel had the right amount of sweetness to complement the cake. This was a winner and I can’t wait to make this recipe again (although next time, I will cut the recipe in half and bake in a loaf pan!).

On deck: Woo hoo! I am on to chapter 4! Get ready for pies, turnovers, and dumplings!

No comments:

Post a Comment