Sunday, August 2, 2009

Challah





This recipe is so good! Challah is a rich, eggy bread that is traditionally kosher and served on the Jewish Sabbath. Since I don't need to keep kosher I opted for the more decadent version of the recipe with milk and butter in place of the water and oil. Like the last few breads, this one didn't need a starter so the whole thing came together really quickly. After mixing and kneading the ingredients, I let the slightly sticky dough proof for one hour. The doubled-in-size dough was then cut into three equal portions so I could braid it into the customary shape. I had never braided dough before and it was much easier than I had expected (way easier than braiding hair!). The braided loaf was left on the counter to proof one more time before baking. After a quick 25 minutes in a 375-degree oven, the challah was done. The egg wash created a beautiful deep golden crust and the dough smelled fragrant and almost sweet. I resisted the urge to dive in (it was already past 1 am) and waited until today to try it. The bread has a great soft texture, with a slightly crusty exterior. I froze most of the loaf and I’m excited to use it for the best bread pudding ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment