Monday, August 3, 2009

Peppermint Saltwater Taffy Part II




I was a bit disappointed at my last attempt to make salt-water taffy--it came out too hard and lacked the characteristic soft, chewy texture I remember. So, not one to give up, I decided to tackle it again tonight. This time, I did a little more research on what temperature to cook the sugar mixture to and opted for a lower temp of 255 degrees (vs. 266 degrees from version 1). After boiling the sugar, I poured it onto a granite slab to cool. I divided the taffy into two sections, dying one red and leaving the other white. I learned the hard way that pulling taffy is easier with two people so I recruited Ryan to help me pull the taffy. Once it lightened in color I twisted the two colors to form peppermint looking ropes. While I cut bite-sized pieces, Ryan wrapped them in wax paper. They came out delicious and much, much sifter than the first round. I think I found a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment