Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Morning Buns








Morning Buns are San Francisco's amped up version of cinnamon rolls (and a special treat I look forward to having each weekend at our local coffee shop). Flaky croissant dough is rolled with cinnamon and sugar, baked in muffin tins, and tossed with granulated sugar for a sparkling finish. Since croissant dough is so time consuming, I made a double batch knowing that this recipe was next. I rolled out the dough into a large rectangle, brushed it with egg, and topped it with a generous amount of cinnamon and brown sugar. After rolling the dough into a long cylinder, I cut the dough into twelve portions and placed them in the muffin tin to proof. Once the buns had doubled in size, they cooked for thirty minutes in a 375-degree oven. While the buns were still warm, I tossed each one in the sugar for added crunch and a festive presentation. I can't say enough about this recipe--these morning buns are an unexpected and delicious departure from the average cinnamon roll.

Up next: Cheese Danish

No comments:

Post a Comment