Saturday, August 1, 2009

Martha Stewart's One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting













This recipe isn't part of the Sur La Table series, but it's so good I didn't want to leave it out. A friend at work is getting married next week, so our marketing team decided it would be fun to surprise him with a collection of our favorite recipes and relationship words of wisdom. I was in charge of bringing something sweet and chocolate cupcakes seemed to fit the bill. These cupcakes are awesome because they only use one bowl (easy clean-up for late weeknight baking!) and you mix everything by hand so no need to pull out the mixer. After blending the dry ingredients (cocoa powder, all purpose flour, baking soda/powder, and salt) the wet ingredients are folded in (eggs, vanilla, melted butter, buttermilk) and you're done! They baked in a 350-degree oven for 13 minutes and cooled on the counter while I prepared the filling and frosting. I decided it would be fun to fill these cupcakes with marshmallow crème since they were so chocolaty. A quick mix of butter and marshmallow fluff and it was time to stuff the cupcakes. After the cakes were all filled, I turned my attention toward the rich and super easy chocolate frosting. I whipped butter and powdered sugar together and added in a generous 1.5 pounds of melted/cooled dark and milk chocolate--yum! The frosting cooled in the fridge for thirty minutes before I whipped until it was fluffy and lighter in color. I finished the cupcakes with a cute idea inspired by Martha Stewart--I bought Necco wafers from the store and using royal icing I inscribed each wafer with the bride and groom's initials (in their wedding colors of green and white). Once they dried I sprinkled them with luster dust and topped each cupcake. I think they looked simple but pretty and they sure tasted good!

1 comment:

  1. Michael Jackson (mj) is getting married?!? Megan really enjoyed them too.

    ReplyDelete