Monday, January 25, 2010

Butterscotch Pie






So, I have to say, this is my favorite recipe so far. Yep, FAVORITE! I had never heard of a butterscotch pie before, and after making this, I wondered how I had lived my life without it! This southern classic has found a permanent home in my rotation of desserts. The best part? It is SO easy! No pie dough here—just a simple and delicious graham cracker crust. The filling is a rich, decadent butterscotch pudding, topped with billowy, vanilla whipped cream. After I made the piecrust (graham cracker crumbs + butter, baked for eight minutes), I went to work on the pudding, which was essentially a pastry cream. I melted butter and brown sugar together to create a thick caramel. Next, I added heavy cream and cornstarch and stirred until thickened. I tempered this mixture with the eggs and returned to the stove to boil and thicken for open minute. I finished the pudding with some butter and vanilla and let it cool to room temp in an ice bath. I filled the graham cracker crust with the pudding and topped it with the whipped cream. The hardest part was waiting three hours for everything to chill up in the fridge! I took one bite and I was sold. The pudding is so creamy and rich, with a heavy butterscotch flavor. The graham cracker crust is the perfect partner, offering a nice contrast in texture and bringing out the vanilla notes. The cold, soft whipped cream brings everything together. Can you tell I like it? I’ve made it three times since. This is a keeper.

Next up: Dulce De Leche Banana Cream Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment