Monday, January 25, 2010

Peach-Gingerbread Dumplings







Dumplings are very similar to turnovers except they usually encase whole or halved pieces of fruit. I halved fresh peaches and then filled the cavity with a mixture of almond paste, molasses, and spices (cinnamon, ginger, and cloves). I placed each peach half onto a 5-inch square of dough and then folded up the sides to create a pyramid-like enclosure. Each pastry got an egg wash and sprinkling of sugar before chilling for thirty minutes. The dumplings baked for 30 minutes until they were deep golden brown. They smelled just like gingerbread, and the peaches were softened but not mushy. My only complaint was that the almond filling was a little too thick. If I made these again, I would actually use a blend of brown sugar and spiced and leave out the almond paste altogether.
Well, now that we made it through chapter 4, I am happy to say that we’ll be diving into chapter 5—the wonderful world of TARTS!

Coming soon: Vanilla Shortcrust Dough

No comments:

Post a Comment