Monday, January 25, 2010

Chocolate Silk Pie







I have had chocolate silk pie at restaurants, but I had never seen a recipe. I always thought it was just a pudding, but boy was I wrong. I didn’t realize that the old recipes contained raw eggs and that the filling is more of a ganache than pudding. To start, I made an Oreo cookie. Next, I started on the filling. I whisked eggs and sugar over a pan of simmering water until the mixture registered 160 degrees (the temp required to kill any harmful bacteria) and then I beat them for 3 minutes. While the eggs were beating, I melted the dark chocolate, butter, and cream and added this to the whipped eggs. I poured the chocolate filling into the pie shell and chilled until set for one hour. I topped the pie with vanilla whipped cream and dug in! This pie was insanely rich and not for the faint of heart. I love chocolate and it was hard for me to eat more than a little sliver at a time (yet, somehow, the pie was gone in three days…). If you like dark chocolate, this is for you. The filling was creamy, smooth, and rich, and went perfectly with the cookie crust.

On deck: Summer Berry Turnovers

No comments:

Post a Comment