Monday, January 25, 2010

Herbed Chicken Pot Pie (or Turkey pot Pie in my case!)






I stole some leftover turkey from thanksgiving and was happy to see that it timed perfectly with this recipe! Unlike many of the other recipes, I made the pie dough and rolled it out into the pan, but I did not pre-bake it. Instead, I started with the potpie filling. I softened celery and onions in butter and whisked in flour to form a roux. Once the flour was cooked, I added chicken stock and brought the mixture to a boil to thicken the sauce. I added in the carrots and turned the temperature down to simmer while I sautéed mushrooms and herbs in a sauté pan. I added the mushroom mixture to the thickened sauce and then put it in an ice bath to bring everything down to room temp (in order not to melt the butter in the pie dough and ensure a flaky crust). I filled the pie shell and topped it with another crust, did a light egg wash, and baked the pie for 45 minutes at 375-degrees. The pie smelled incredible when it came out the oven. I let it cool for 20 minutes before we dug in. The fresh herbs (chives, parsley, thyme) really added a brightness and nice contrast to the creamy sauce. We wound up eating this for two days and we were sad to see it disappear. The only change I would make is to use a little more flour because I prefer a really thick filling. I know what I’m doing with my leftover turkey next year!

On deck: Butterscotch Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment