Monday, January 25, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash-Onion Pie






I told my Mom I would bring a side dish for Thanksgiving and this pie seemed to fit the bill. Since there were so many steps to this pie, I decided to spread it out over three days. On the first day, I made the pie dough and let it chill. Day two I rolled out the crust and blind baked it. I also roasted the butternut squash in a hot oven and caramelized a yellow onion on the stove. I let all of the vegetables cool overnight in the fridge. I also prepared the custard mixture by whisking together milk, eggs, pecorino cheese, chives, fresh thyme, sage, lemon zest, salt and pepper. On the third day, it was easy to assemble the pie. I layered the caramelized onions onto the bottom of the pie shell and then spread the butternut squash over it in an even layer. I poured the custard mixture over the veggies and baked in a 350-degree oven for 45 minutes. I took the pie home for the holiday and reheated it in an oven until warmed through. Overall, everyone really liked this vegetarian side dish option. I thought that the roasted squash and onions were delicious, but I felt that the lemon was overwhelming (maybe because I made the custard in advance?). I would like to try this again, but next time, up the herbs and take out the lemon zest. Verdict? It’s a keeper with a few modifications.

Up next: Herbed Chicken Pot Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment