Monday, January 25, 2010

Dulce De Leche Banana Cream Pie






This pie was also pretty easy to make since it started with an Oreo cookie crust. I lined the crust with a thin layer of chocolate ganache to help keep the crust crisp. Once the crust was prepared, I went to work on a pastry cream to hold the sliced bananas. The pastry cream was a combination of cream, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and cornstarch, cooked until thickened. I whisked a can of dulce de leche into the pastry cream and added in the bananas. The mixture was then placed into the cookie crust and topped with homemade whipped cream. Overall, I thought this was really tasty, but there are a few improvements I would make next time. For starters, I didn’t feel the dulce de leche flavor came through very much and it seemed to thin out the pastry cream. Next time, I might try a butterscotch pudding (similar to the previous recipe). I also felt that the chocolate ganache, while a good idea, was a little too strong in flavor and detracted from the bananas. When I have some free time, I will try this one again with the changes, because after all, bananas and cream in any combination is pretty darn tasty.

Coming soon: Chocolate Silk Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment