Monday, January 25, 2010

Summer Berry Turnovers






Homemade turnovers are better than any grocery store version. I started with a cream cheese crust (which seems fool proof since no liquid is added and there is little chance of over mixing) and let the dough chill overnight. The next day, I mixed raspberries and blackberries with sugar, salt, lemon, and flour to form the filling for the turnovers. I rolled the dough out into 5-inch squares, and filled each square with the fruit mixture. Folding each square of dough in half on the diagonal created the turnovers. I sealed them with a fork, did a quick egg wash, topped them with sugar (for sparkle and crunch) and chilled them for thirty minutes. The turnovers baked in a 375-degree oven for 25 minutes. They emerged from the oven bubbling and smelling of sweet berries. I let one barely cool before I bit into it. The crust was flaky and tender and the berries perfectly sweetened. The only thing that would have made them better is a big scoop of vanilla ice cream! We enjoyed them for dessert one night and breakfast the next morning. Yum!

Last recipe of chapter 4: Peach-Gingerbread Dumplings

No comments:

Post a Comment